Monday, October 1, 2007

Reflections on the First Month

The month has been full--of joys, of treasured times with students, of laughter, of excitement and nervousness and exhaustion and (almost) tears. I don't think I've cried yet, and that surprises me. I'm usually quite emotional in times of transition. Perhaps I'm being emotional in other ways--quieter ways, like needing to take this Friday night to do nothing but be home. Laundry, cooking, baking, tidying, and writing. Writing friends I've wanted to write to for ages. Friends like you. It's been a joyful month. I remember leaving school on the first day, competely drained of energy but absolutely looking forward to the year. There was so much I didn't know, and yet I felt so much had gone well on that day. In some ways, far better than expected. There have been some fun times of exploring the city with fellow teachers, enjoying worship, prayer & fellowship with fellow believers, moves and talks and laughter with new-found friends. I'm so thankful for Erin, who teaches grades 7/8, and Tim (ESL teacher and Erin's husband), who are ull of advice and ideas, share a building with me (our school has 3 different buildings), share Friday night movies and dinner with me, and share a rueful sense of humor with me. There have definitely been times to laugh! Sometimes I have to laugh at my own mistakes, like starting school 15 minutes late on the first day of school--but usually it's more amusing than that. :) It's been a learning month. The first test showed my students had learned something, after all, and I've learned 5x's more along the way. Who knew that there was so much involved in being a teacher. It's been a tiring month, and I'm always thankful for the weekend. Still, at the end of the weekend I'm tired of the weekend and missing my students. That's an awesome thing! I've been so thankful for all the little ways that I have seen God working in my life here, and how His love and mercy is always there watching over me. I know that He has picked me for this job, right here, right now, and every time I pray I'm reminded that He will give me the strength to be and do all He wants for me. Pray for me, that I will continually rely on His strength when I am weary, on His joy when I am tired, and on His peace when I am anxious. I want to be a great teacher, but I don't want to burn myself out striving in my own strength--especially when His strength is more than enough.

Thank you to everyone who is praying for me, and please know that I miss you and think of you often, even though I can't always be in contact with each of you individually.

No comments: