For the first few weeks, I went to a local church along with my roommate and some other teachers. It is a good church with solid teaching, and an English group that meets afterward to discuss the sermon. Still, it somehow didn't seem to fit what I was looking for. I wanted to be someplace that felt more "Japanese." At this church, the community of foreigners seemed to stick together (rather natural), but I wanted more opportunities to interact with Japanese believers. I also just didn't feel 'at home' in this place - for one thing, it felt awkward to raise my hands in worship because so few people were doing it. I prayed about whether this was the church where God wanted me to stay or not, and I didn't feel peace about remaining there. The next church I tried was an international church that my principal, his wife, and two other teachers attend. I enjoyed the service there and it was nice to actually hear the message in English, but there I felt even MORE isolated from Japanese believers. I really wanted something more "Japanese," I thought.
I continued to pray about church, and one weekend, every time I prayed a certain family that attends our school came to mind. I know they are missionaries but, unlike some others, not pastoring a church. I didn't know what that impression meant, but I continued to pray and seek God for the right place to be. I was SO surprised when Monday morning, the father of that family entered my classroom with his son. It was the first time he'd come to the class, and after usual greetings his first question to me was, "Have you found a church?" I was slightly taken aback, but felt open to say that I was still looking, especially for something more Japanese than an international church. I really do want to learn the language and culture here. He told me about his church and it sounded like a great mix of Japanese & international people. The sermons are often visiting speakers who preach in English and it's translated into Japanese. The only issue was, it is outside of biking or walking distance from my house, and it's outside the city so public transit doesn't go there. I might have left it at that except for the fact that I had continually thought of this family when I prayed about a church. Maybe there will be a way...
I expressed interest in coming, and he said he would ask a friend if she could drive me. It was left at that...
That Wednesday evening at our teacher's Bible study, I started a conversation with Ibuki, a Japanese believer who has joined us. We started talking about church, and I asked her where she attended. "Parkside Chapel - Jody Kubo's church."
"Really?" I was excited because this was the same church I had been invited to on Monday. I told her that I was hoping to visit sometime.
"Really?!" (she was excited this time) "You should come with me! I love my church. And I can give you a ride. I live close to you...very close!"
Wow -- God brought the right person to Bible study! :) She has a car, lives less than a 10 minute walk from my house, and...to top it all off...I later learned that this was the EXACT friend that the parent had been talking about. God placed her in my path as a double confirmation that this is the right place for me. Ibuki is a wonderful sister in the Lord and a great Japanese teacher! She had also been praying for someone to accompany her on the 20-minute drive to church, so I was an answer to her prayers, as well. God is so good!
Ibuki, Emily (another teacher), and me
No comments:
Post a Comment