This has been a really good week. Just one of those weeks where some really good things happen. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was that was making this week so good until I was sharing it with a friend. “Teachable moments,” she said. “It sounds like your week has been full of teachable moments .” She was exactly right.
There was a teachable moment when I gave the girls in my class a card, thanking them for caring enough to ask me what was making me stressed last week and wanting to make me smile. I could tell that they were honored to receive the note, and I could just sense that my relationship with them had somehow gone a little deeper. They were seeking me out a little more at lunch, just to talk or laugh or be with me. I realized the importance of honesty – they were able to see me as a real person, with weaknesses and shortcomings, and it's a really freeing thing to know that there are other people in the world who aren't perfect.
There was a teachable moment when my class left a chapel that focused on teamwork, in which they'd done an amazing job of working together, encouraging one another, and helping one another, and then immediately got into an argument with one another in the hallway. I talked with them about it and then they wrote a journal about what they thought were their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to teamwork. Most of them seemed to know themselves well, and they were ready to admit their struggles. I've even seen them making an effort to do better, and to really treat one another with kindness, respect, and most of all, brotherly love.
There was a teachable moment in Bible class, when suddenly Paul's letter to the Ephesians connected directly to their struggles, questions, and challenges. As much as I wish that would happen in as deep a way every week, I know it's the work of the Holy Spirit to fit together circumstances in daily life in such a perfect way to prepare our hearts to truly receive God's truth.
There were teachable moments for me, too. There were days when I knew God was asking me to turn over my worries and anxieties to Him. There were moments when I was reminded that I am responsible to plant seeds, but only God can bring the harvest. He allows freedom of choice, and I need to allow it, too. There were times when I was just thankful to be here, right now, doing this, because I know it's exactly where God wants me. He creates the teachable moments, and I know He will keep on teaching me.
1 Cor 3:6, "I planted, Apollos watered, but it is God who brings the increase."
Ecc. 3:1, "There is an appointed time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven."
1 Pet. 3:15, "Always be ready to give an answer for the hope that you have."
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I Love You!!!
Post a Comment