Sunday, August 19, 2007

Here I am!

Friday Aug 17
Ahh – here at last! The bed is made, the air conditioner is working, and life is good. I had an overwhelmingly wonderful last night at the airport, being greeted by five members of the ICAN staff family. After a 70 minute, air-conditioned coach bus ride, we went to the grocery store and then hopped on the Limino, the magnetic train, for two stops before walking 10 minutes to our apartment. Two strong men hefted my 70 pound suitcases up 4 flights of stairs, and then I phoned home, drank lots of water, and lay down in my sweltering room, thankful for the fan but wishing the air conditioner would stop blowing hot air. Still, I slept soundly in 3 hour intervals, waking up for a refreshingly cool shower (why heat water with gas when it's so hot anyway?), a few moments to unpack, and then my roommate took us (me and Becky, the 4th grade who also arrived yesterday) out for brunch at a local restaurant. Cathy, the first grade teacher, joined us and helped us know what we were ordering. The food was VERY good – not traditionally Japanese but apparently a very popular restaurant here. The waiters kept coming by to offer us new flavours of buns – basil, chocolate, croissants, green tea, and more – freshly heated (possibly freshly baked) and delicious! I also had some really good pumpkin soup, a salad with lots of mushrooms, and a scrumptious macaroni, cheese, and ham concoction. Welcome to Japan—I'm lovin' it!
I feel so much at peace here—I know that many people are praying for me and I'm sure that is helping. It's also a huge sense of reassurance just knowing that I am covered by the blood of Christ, shed on Calvary, and He is protecting me, guiding me, and providing for me wherever I go.

Sun. Aug 19

Konnichi-wa! (Hello) It's 2 days later and I now have internet in my apartment, so I can post what I wrote on Friday night. The last few days have been great, too. I went to see my classroom at the school, bought a brand new bike so I can get to school, went to a Japanese church, visited a temple, and have gotten together with other staff members for food, movies, and fun times. I am really thankful for the people that God has placed here. They've been so amazing at helping me to adjust, showing me around the city, answering my questions and telling me important things even before I think to ask! I'm learning so much about Japanese customs, the language, the food, what's polite and what's impolite - it's a lot of information but it's WONDERFUL all at the same time. Pictures will be coming soon!

No comments: