I've been thinking about love recently - God's love. Last night I listened to a podcast from Mars Hill Bible Church in Michigan that was talking about a mother's love. What is it about a mother's love that makes it so unique? "Intense nurture," was the speaker's response. "A love that gives itself fully" all for the benefit of the child. What can we learn from this about God's love? He loves us with a love that gives itself fully for our good (not always our wants).
After listening to the podcast, I opened my Bible directionlessly, planning to read for a while before going to sleep but not feeling motivated for a certain passage. The book fell open to Song of Songs, and so I started to read. As I read, I was struck by the intensity of love that is displayed between the bridegroom and his bride. Phrases like "love is as strong as death" and "do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires" punctuated the passage, emphasizing intensity. If God designed this love, if He is the author of a love like this, then it is no great leap to think when the Bible says "God so loved the world that He gave His only Son...", He is talking about a love that is this intense and this intimate. Does He really love me like this? As I read last night, I felt the Spirit of God saying to my heart, "Yes, I do love you this much, with this much intensity, with this much "giving fully". "I belong to my love, and his desire is for me," (SS 7:10). As I read this verse, I realized that it echoed two of my deepest desires: to belong and to be desired. Yes, this poem is talking about love between a man and a woman. I trust God with my desire for human love like that. But even with my desire, I know that no one can love me as much as God does or give me a home as comforting as His presence. God has clearly expressed His love for me (and for you) through sending His Son Jesus to take the punishment for sins on the cross and then rise again to bring us new life. What is my response to a love like this? I found the words in this song:
Friday, May 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment