Friday, January 11, 2008

God Bless You and Send You a Happy New Year

I've been surprised at how well this past week has gone. I was concerned about returning to school and the stress of teaching, but my first week back after Christmas vacation, while full, has been comfortable. I'm thankful for a little more time to rest in the evenings. After realizing that I should probably be going to bed at 9 pm in order to get "enough" sleep every night, I made that my New Year's resolution and prayed for God's help to actually DO it. So far, it has been great! The mornings are much happier and the whole day goes better. If anyone wonders if sleep really makes a difference, IT DOES! So I feel like a kid going to bed at 9 pm, but it's worth it! hehe

In spite of the ease of day-to-day things, there has been sadness because of the loss of a friend from church. Her funeral is on Sunday and, even though I have not been personally close to her since being her youth sponsor a few years ago, I know that her family (close friends of mine) and my church family are going through a difficult time and I would like to be there to walk through this with them. I am praying often, and God has encouraged me with Isaiah 40:1, "Comfort, comfort my people.." God offers Himself as our greatest Comfort. In spite of it all, I see how God was preparing my heart to turn to Him in times of trouble. My mom gave me a book called, "Living Confidently in God's Love" for Christmas, and the last chapter I read was all about how God promises to be our comfort and we so seldom really take Him at His Word for that. After meditating on that for a week, it seemed so natural to turn to Him for comfort when I received the sad news. I'm not saying that any of it was God's will, because I know death is a result of sin in the world and even Jesus got really angry when confronted with the death of a dear friend, Lazarus, but I see God's gentleness and love in how He worked in my heart beforehand. I think when we have ears to hear, God "cushions" us from the blows Satan throws at us through circumstances. Not that we are lifted up from the troubles in life, but we are given the strength and peace to walk through them without becoming overwhelmed by them. His grace is sufficient.

I know God has so much in store for each one of us this year. We will all face trials and difficult situations, but He will see us through. I wish you a Happy New Year because Jesus is our joy and strength in all things. Be blessed!